Thursday, October 28, 2010

Millie’s Deli and Grill – Chanhassen, MN

I was actually headed to lunch at Na’s Thai Café when I got distracted by a place I have driven by and always wanted to eat at. Now was my chance, since I was indecisive anyway today.
I went in and checked it out – a lot of brick and woodwork on the inside, but plenty of 2- and 4-top tables (only two of which were being used). It seemed pretty straight forward – read the board above the deli case and decide which sandwich or soup you’d like.
There were a couple of smaller dry erase boards around the place with different specials and combos on them. I was torn between a turkey and ham club, meatloaf, or pulled bbq pork. I finally caved and went with the bbq pork. It usually comes with coleslaw, but I went with the veggie salad instead, since I’m not a major fan of coleslaw.


I grabbed a seat and within 5 minutes, the lady behind the counter brought out my sandwich. She made sure I had everything I needed and brought what I didn’t. Super helpful. The veggie salad was fine. It’s difficult to screw that up, so thankfully they didn’t. The fries were really quite good. They had some sort of visible seasoning on them, but it wasn’t spicy or anything, just tasty. Very delicious, especially when dipped in the bbq sauce they had brought out for the sandwich.

The sandwich was quite good. The downsides: it was smaller than I had hoped and the bbq sauce wasn’t already mixed in with the meat, you add your own. Which always makes me think it should be called a pulled pork sandwich, not a BBQ pork sandwich. That’s just me though. Even though the sandwich was small, it was still an appropriate size for a lunch sandwich. The meat was quite tasty and tender and no gristle or fat. The BBQ sauce they served with it was warm and really tasty. Not a lot of liquid smoke or anything, and it was really thick like I like it. It was a good sandwich for lunch and made me happy I chose this over Thai food, which I was using as a last resort.

While eating lunch, there was a guy teaching a Hispanic woman the English word for “centipede”. She kept getting it mixed up with “caterpillar”. What’s funny about that is D.Rough just sent me an article about a Mexican Carwash Massacre and thought it should be a movie I’d add to my collection of terrible movies. That conversation was followed up by our friend Rocky talking about Human Centipede. If Hollywood can combine Aliens and Predator, then I think we should expect to see Mexican Human Centipede Carwash Massacre in theaters soon!!! (I can only dream…)

Despite this sandwich being pretty sloppy to eat, I amazed myself by NOT slopping sauce on my shirt at all. Go me. I do however have the smell of bbq sauce underneath my fingernails… mmmmmmm. There’s a lot of things on the menu I still need to try. I’ll go back here again. Great people serving great food.

Top 5 things about Millie’s Deli and Grill
1. BBQ sauce was great AND served warm. AWESOME!
2. Seasoned French fries
3. Super helpful staff
4. Good variety of sandwiches (and breakfast too!)
5. Centipede conversation

Bottom 5 things
1. Small size of sandwich
2. It should just be called a pulled pork sandwich since the BBQ is on the side
3. Didn’t see anything that was actually grilled – weird (they have recently started serving dinner on Friday nights. Maybe they use the grill then.)
4. Stupid Coke products – I just got water rather than drink their stuff. Then I noticed they had dew in cans in the coolers right next to the door
5. Looking at the menu online while writing this, I wish I had gone for breakfast – maybe tomorrow…

www.milliesdeli.com

1 comment:

Clint said...

Their breakfast sausage wrap is awesome. Get that if you ever go for breakfast.