Thursday, October 29, 2015

Ox Bow Trail Disc Golf Course – Ashland, NE



I had to get in a round or three of disc golf while in Omaha for roller derby. I looked up a couple of courses and picked this one, since it was recently upgraded to 18 holes, from 12. It is about 30-35 minutes outside of Omaha, so not a terrible drive. 

The park is set in a sort of transitional industrial area and residential area. The park has a set of ball fields and volleyball courts, but no one was there at 8 in the morning, so I didn’t have to worry about a lot of traffic.  The map online only shows the middle section of the course for some reason, so I had to figure out where each of the holes were – not usually a problem. 

The course is flat with just an occasional tree. So you don’t have to navigate a lot of doglegs or finesse or anything. Not very much distance on the original 12 holes and even the newer holes on the other side of the bridge were pretty drive-able. 

I don’t think this course gets very much play or attention. I say this because despite the tee pads being concrete, it was missing a few tee signs and an occasional basket (though they have planned for multiple placements, so you can see the pvc pipes indicating where the baskets should be. The area looks like it gets some flooding, so you may have to search hard for concrete pads. There’s also a tee pad with a brand new light pole installed at the throwing end of the tee. Very unusual hazard, frankly. 

For some reason, I was absolutely on fire this morning. I shot 8 under par. I can’t think of the last time I did that, if EVER. So, needless to say, it’s a pretty easy course. Worth the drive from Omaha? Probably not, but if you’re passing through, it’s an ego boost.


No comments: