Monday, January 11, 2016

John’s Pizza Café – St. Paul, MN


My friend Swedish Meatbrawl recommended this pizza place a few months back and I finally made it there to check it out. It’s got a pretty modern looking feel for a St. Paul establishment and you either order by the slice from the counter or off the menu. I’ll warn you in advance, this menu is seriously big. Appetizers, separate mac-and-cheese section, pastas, strombolis, calzones, hoagies, wings, burgers, malts, tons of desserts, and of course, pizza.

You can either build your own pizza or order one of their set specialty pizzas. I went with the specialty – the Caribbean Pizza. It’s got oven-baked chicken with a Caribbean jerk sauce, pineapple, mozzarella, peppers, and a touch of all-spice.


It came out pretty quickly, even though there was a decent lunch crowd here. As I waited, I kept looking at the large menu and tried to figure out what I would get the next time I was here – I hadn’t even eaten a bite yet and I was ready to come back and try more things. The jerk sauce was probably closer to spicy buffalo sauce than anything, but it still went really well with the chicken flavor. The all-spice wasn’t overpowering, so it went well with everything. I really liked the pepper flavor on this pizza, as well. I couldn’t eat the entire things, so I ended up bringing some home to D.Rough, who gave it a thumbs up!

Can’t wait to go back here and get many additional items. Some not even related to pizza, if you can believe it. Good folks here, serving up great food. I’m guessing you’re going to like going here, even if I don’t put a top 5 list here.

No comments: