Thursday, August 11, 2022

Sippi's American Grill & Craft Beer - Davenport, IA

 

I’ve driven by Sippi’s maybe not a hundred times, but it’s getting close to that number, and I’ve never stopped. While D and I were in town, we were in that neck of the woods and thought we should check it out. It’s a bar and grill, but they’ve also got some fancier things on the menu. Lots of tvs for the sportfolks, but also plenty of outside patio space for you to get out and enjoy the elements. Pretty diverse clientele inside – some fancier folks, but plenty of shorts and jerseys to be seen throughout.

 

The menu does have some interesting items on it, but we were in the mood for something hearty. D ordered the Cajun Catfish Filets and sweet potato fries, and it came with soup or salad and she went with baked potato soup. I got the Taste of the South Burger with Shells and Cheese as my side. We talked ourselves out of wings to start, since we realized it was going to be plenty of food. 

 

The baked potato soup came out first and was actually quite good. Really thick and hearty without being super flour-filled. Lots of potatoes and black pepper, which is exactly how I like my baked potatoes anyway! We wanted hearty food, and we were getting hearty food.


The food came out quickly and we were really impressed with the portions. There was a mound of sweet potato fries, which were really delicious – although they weren’t crispy at all. I know this is one of those things that’s hard to achieve, so I always cut a little slack. But they were just fine. The catfish was actually the best thing of the night. Really good seasoning, although not spicy at all. Really light and flaky fish and the breading was just about perfect. Crunchy and not greasy. Great job on these catfish filets. I’m not sure if they are Mississippi River caught or not, but it’s a safe bet going with catfish when you’re in the QCs.

 

The Taste of the South burgers was just ok. I might have gotten my hopes too high on this one – Burger with bacon, fried green tomato, Carolina BBQ sauce, and pepper jack. It was fine, but I couldn’t taste much of the ingredients – it ended up tasting like a cheeseburger to me. Maybe I ordered poorly on my part, but I wish I had something as awesome as D’s catfish. Hahaha. The shells and cheese were much better than the burger, so I was glad I went with those for the side. 

 

Overall, it was an average/fine meal. Nothing earth-shattering or reason to round up friends and family to go here, but if you’re in the neighborhood, it’ll get you where you need to go. The beer list is good, but I had literally had everything on the list, so it wasn’t anything crazy. 

 

http://www.sippisrestaurant.com 

No comments: