Friday, June 16, 2023

Dead Man's Isle - Astoria, OR

As most of you know, I love a tiki bar. Anything that encourages rum and fruit juices to flow down my throat is going to be a winner every time. Dead Man’s Isle wasn’t open the last time I was in Astoria, evidently because they opened in 2022. The décor and the feel are pretty fun and the staff were perfect!!! We happened to be there on the chef’s birthday, so he was sitting at the bar sharing drinks with friends and seemed like a great guy to have around (or a round with).

 

The menu is pretty extensive, both with drinks and even with the food items (more than just appetizers). I started with a Rum Barrel. As often happens, the bartender warned me this was for like 2 or 3 people, to which I replied “yup”. It does have 4 or 5 shots of rum in it, but it also has a bunch of juices and ice and garnishes, so it’s basically healthy. It really was delicious, and I’d recommend this one to anyone.


Since I wasn’t driving, I opted for a second drink – Nielsen’s Blood – rum, brandy, blood orange, falernum, and ginger beer. I was looking for something unusual, and the bartender (Audrey, I think) recommended this. It was fantastic and I enjoyed it so much. Just a few bubbles form the ginger beer and the combo of rum and brandy is always delicious. 

The place has an impressive collection of merch, including t-shirts and tiki mugs – including in a tiki vending machine! Be sure to stop next doo at Muntiki for some seriously upscale and unique tiki mugs. You won’t be sorry you did. 

Looking forwarding to hitting this tiki bar up every time I’m in Astoria! Gold star for you fine folks!

Dead Man’s Isle
1239 Duane St.
Astoria, OR 97103

No comments: