Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Beijing - Eden Prairie, MN

I’m all about trying new Chinese food buffets around my work place. Sure most of them are very standard and have the same options, but every once in while you find a gem, right? I popped by New Beijing on a lunch break and figured I’d do the buffet and get in and out of there quick, so I could get back to work.

They did have some of the standards on the buffet, but there really weren’t very many items in total. I was a little disappointed in the selection, actually. That didn’t slow me down though. I heaped on Kung Pow chicken, vegetable lo mein (which are basically just noodles), sesame chicken, an egg roll, a cream cheese wonton, something called “juicy green beans”, Mongolian pork, and egg drop soup (well, I didn’t heap on the soup to be honest – I put it in a bowl like a civilized person).

The food was underwhelming, truth be told. Sometimes things get cooked too long or sit on the buffet too long and get the flavor cooked out of them. I think this was the case. The egg roll was really greasy and had too much cinnamon (my most common complaint with Minnesota egg rolls). The flavor was nice, but the whole thing was just in sad mushy shape. The sesame chicken was the best part of the meal, but the kung pow chicken and the lo mein were limp and didn’t have much flavor. The juicy green beans were more shriveled and not juicy at all, but that’s harder to fit on a small tag on the buffet and slightly less appealing. The egg drop soup looked snot-like when I put it my bowl (again, a common complaint of egg drop soup), but it was also an unholy shade of orange. I was hoping it would be like a hint of sri racha to spice it up, but it wasn’t. I think it was just grease. Sad reality.

Sure, it sounds like I’m complaining, but it really didn’t slow me down that much. I did get a second plate.

Then dessert – chocolate and lemon puddings. I didn’t realize it was lemon and had assumed it was vanilla. The lemon chocolate combo wasn’t the greatest, but I powered through.

Overall, I wasn’t impressed with New Beijing and probably won’t be back. I know FireRetarded had tried to steer me away from it a few months back (which is why I went without him). Next time, I will listen to his advice and he and I will go some place awesome. I think he and I are about due for some lunchtime adventures!

The best part about New Beijing is you can go clothes shopping next door at Turnstyles – a consignment/second hand clothing store with some super deals – cha-ching!

Top 5 things about New Beijing
1) It is close to my work
2) Sesame Chicken
3) Cream Cheese Wonton
4) Very friendly workers
5) Next door to Turnstyles

Bottom 5 things
1) Kung Pow Chicken
2) Snotty orange egg drop soup
3) (non-) Juicy Green Beans
4) Cinnamon-y egg rolls
5) Chocolate-Lemon pudding combo

New Beijing
962 Prairie Center Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344

No comments: