Sunday, November 5, 2017

Selah Ranch Creekside Course – Talco, TX


When I knew I was going to head to Dallas for the weekend, I asked around to some friends who play disc golf, “If I can only play one or two courses in the area, where should I go?” All of them said to play Selah Ranch. This disc golf country club has the #1 and #2-rated courses in the world. Both of the courses on site are designed by John Houck, who is somewhat of a legend in disc golf course design. I don’t love all of his courses, but I like most of them. He’s very creative and likes to challenge golfers.

I got a little lost trying to find this place, so be sure to use a combination of GPS, the PDGA course page directions, and the Selah Ranch page. It’s a two hour drive from Dallas, but not an unpleasant drive. 
It’s on a HUGE plot of land that includes a huge barn with golf carts and a pro shop, a large barn that looks like a banquet facility, a LARGE multi-room house that is sort of the club-house and guest rooms, and then a bunch of smaller cabins for guests to stay in. When I pulled up to the pro shop to check in, there wasn’t anyone there. There was a number on the door to call if no one was there, but someone just happened to pull up to the place and he told me to drive back to the main house and interrupt the guy cutting grass – he’s the owner and he’ll get me all set up. And he did.

The greens fees are the most I’ve ever paid (but you won’t regret it), and I heard from a number of people that you really need to get a cart (which I was suspicious of, but again you won’t regret it). It was the most money I’ve ever laid out to play disc golf for a casual round or two. I’m jumping ahead, but it’s the best money I’ve spent on disc golf ever – just shut up and pay the man.

I got a super bad-ass all-terrain golf cart. Never even seen a golf cart like this! But, as it turns out, you’ll need both the crazy suspension, the huge grippy tires, and the roof to get through this course. This cart was as big as the Kia Soul I rented at the airport.

I didn’t leave without putting on some sunscreen, either. Got to keep my skin baby soft, you know.

This course is long. Really long. People told me to forget the usual scoring system where everything is a par three. This is not the case at this course – you’ll go crazy if you don’t play the course pars, as marked. If it says it’s a par four, then you’re going to be lucky to get a four on it. If it says it’s a par 5, then you’re going to be happy with a five. Really happy. I decided to play Creekside first and save the Lakeside Course for the afternoon.

The first hole at Creekside is 630 feet, and really tricky. Over the creek, but between two sets of dense trees, with a dog-leg right. I felt like I crushed it, but still had a huge upshot with lots of trees to get anywhere near the basket. Which I didn’t. hahaha.

The third hole is 607 feet, over the corner of the pond to a landing area, and then water all along the left hand side to the basket. John Houck’s signature “risk vs. reward” shot. You can totally go for your three, but you’d better hit the landing area the basket sits on, or your disc is gone. LOVE IT!

Four is a shorty through a narrow opening, with a hidden basket that sits next to the water. You can play a safe straight show, or you can play the dog-leg and hope you don’t carry even a little bit too far.

Five’s basket also sits ten feet from the water – go for it if you want. It’s only 215 feet. I played safe, and then missed my putt. Story of my life.

Hole 6 is a tunnel shot with some elevation to maneuver. This course doesn’t have a ton of elevation, but when there IS some, they use it very well. Smart design, Mr. Houck.

Hole 8 is a monster 1019 feet. Lots of trees to hit along the left side, and if you don’t hit them, it’s out of bounds just on the other side of them. This hole is par 5, without question. Brutal.

Hole 9 is 644, but then hole 10 is another crusher: 930 feet, with dense trees to throw through or around. I played around and managed to get lucky on this one. I added some distance, but took some trees out of the equation.

Hole 13 is a little shorty (280’) with a small landing area along the bank of the pond. It was here that I noticed many of the quotes on the tee signs. Lots of biblical quotes, some billy graham quotes, Ben Franklin quotes, and whatever seemed appropriate at the time, while standing on the tee.

Hole 14 is 594 feet, bending to the right, through some well-placed trees. One just off the tee stops you from getting too wide and then, you’ve got a few more to navigate before throwing to a basket under a huge tree.

Hole 15 is a shorty with another well placed (and unique) tree right in the flight path. You can play it out wide if you want, or you can thread the needle. Multiple options from the tee makes for a really fun hole.

Hole 16, at 777 feet, has a hilarious quote from Miss Piggy on the tee sign. “Never eat more than you can lift.” It’s even funnier, since I got a little aggressive from the tee and threw one into the water. This is a fantastic hole with multiple risk/reward shots. A great landing pad on the upshot and looming out-of-bounds behind the basket makes for a tricky shot to the green. I love it (even though I lost one of my favorite discs).

Hole 17 is another water hole – short enough to drive to the basket, as long as you make it out of the few trees right off the tee. Risky landing area (that I actually found from the tee) – great hole.

Hole 18 is a reallllly tricky water hole. It’s a peninsula green with water in front of, behind, and to the right of the basket. You really have to land it on this little narrow thumb of grass to stay out of the water. Forget about landing it close to the basket – just keep it dry. This hole decides whether you go back to the car angry or elated.

I played fairly well at this course and I would highly recommend playing this course. I’m overjoyed that I got to play this course and I’d love to come back here and donate more plastic to the various water features of this course. I headed back to my car to get some additional Gatorade and sunscreen, and then I headed off to play the OTHER amazing course. – The Lakeside Course.

No comments: