Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Double Down Sandwich from KFC – Minneapolis, MN

HotGirlsBrother and I love to try horrific food together, especially the ones involving odd combinations of fast food sandwiches. When we heard this sandwich was going live to all KFC’s we started getting vocal about it. Much to our surprise, GingerVitus said she was on board with this little fiasco we were setting up.

For those that don’t know, Kentucky Fried Chicken’s newest promotional sandwich is called the Double Down. It’s a bacon and cheese sandwich, but instead of bread, they utilize two chicken breasts. Top that off with the colonel’s special sauce, and you’ve got a winner. People were saying it’s a heart attack on a plate, but I can assure you it doesn’t come on a plate – just a small cardboard box. There are two options, grilled or fried. This refers to how you want your modified “bun”. You can have the chicken grilled so it’s healthy or deep fried since you’re going to die soon anyway.

I drove halfway across the Twin Cities from work to meet HotGirlsBrother and GingerVitus at KFC. One glorious thing about this adventure was the fact that GingerVitus rented a ZipCar for the trip. She doesn’t own a car, but had to find a way to enjoy an awesome lunch with two champion eaters. I’m guessing this expense greatly increased the total amount paid for her DoubleDown. But it DOES show her dedication to projects like this. Kudos, GingerVitus.

I was feeling rather hungry, and since this was for science (I’m not sure where I came up with that, but I love to quote my scientific friend EJens), I had to order one of each kind of Double Down. I think this makes it a Quadruple Down. One grilled and one fried. Plus it’s a good deal to get the side, so I got Mac and Cheese for dessert.


We toasted our arteries clogging and began to dig in!

I’ll be honest, these things aren’t nearly as bad as I thought they would be. I know it sounds disgusting, but what’s the big deal about eating a chicken breast? There isn’t one. People eat them all the time, and Atkins people hate buns anyway. So the worst part of the sandwich is likely either the bacon or the Colonel’s special sauce (which never DOESN’T sound dirty). The grilled sandwich I found greasier than the fried one. This may because the fried chickens were able to grip the insides better than the slick grilled one. (Yes, I’m developing some sort of “chicken friction standard” for replacement of bread…) The sandwich is actually quite juicy and flavorful. The breading on the fried ones makes for a bit more flavor and interesting texture in your mouth, so I would vote the fried one head and shoulders above the rest. The things is GOOD, people. GOOD!

GingerVitus began to wuss out about 2/3 of the way through. We didn’t give her too much crap about it, but she seemed relatively happy with it. HotGirlsBrother was hilarious when he finished his sandwich. His stomach gave him that “Did you REALLY just put that in there?” attitude and then about 5 minutes later, his stomach was convinced by the awesomeiosity of what it had just been tasked with. I’m pretty sure the final verdict on the Double Down was a resounding “YES!” from all parties. After I finished my Mac and Cheese, I myself proclaimed this one of the best inventions KFC has ever blessed us with.

And yes I finished all of it, including my Mac and Cheese. I'm still alive, so suck it, arteries!

I’m thinking this was a good plan on KFC’s part. Screw nutrition, screw PETA, screw pansy sandwiches, screw bread, and screw all those medical documents trying to get people to back off of fast food. Apparently, this thing has been selling out all across the nation. You probably owe it to yourself to try one of these Double Down sandwiches. You will surprise yourself.

1 comment:

Ruby James Vita said...

I really don't get the big spaz over this thing. You can find this sandwich at almost ANY fast food restaurant, but KFC was smart enough to lure our dull society into thinking this was some masterpice because they served it...without a BUN. I mean...really??? I know about 100 people on Weight Watchers who already have you people beat by about 100 sandwiches.