Wednesday, May 26, 2010

La Bamba – Shakopee, MN

Sometimes I like to hit the road for lunch and look outside the immediate area for lunch places. I hopped online and tried to find something in Shakopee worth eating. I found what I thought was a Mexican restaurant there and headed off. Shakopee seems like a long way away, but really isn’t from where I’m located at work. When I got to Shakopee and found the place I was looking for, I discovered it was a Mexican grocery store, not a restaurant. I hopped back in my car and drove to the 3-block area of downtown Shakopee to see if I could stumble across an unknown Mexican restaurant. I found one that looked promising – La Bamba.


I walked into the small place and was unsure whether to sit or order at the counter. Just then, a tiny cute young girl – as in like 2 or 3 – popped around the counter with a menu in her hand for me. Hilarious and amazingly cute. I thanked her and smiled at her mother behind the counter and sat down at a table. There were like 9 or 10 tables in the entire place – it’s not large. The menu had some traditional things on it and a couple of house specialties and some seafood. Not a ton of things, but you could tell they put some effort and love into the food they did offer. I had to narrow down my choices from 10 or so things down to one item.

The mother came and took my order. I went with the Alambres – seasoned sautéed carnitas (pork), green peppers, onions, jalapenos, bacon, chihuahua cheese, served with tortillas. I also got a pineapple Jarritos drink because I LOVE it. After the mother left, the cute little girl came back and brought me a basket of chips and some green salsa. Again, super cute. She brought a couple of other people menus and they also ooohed and aaaahed over her. Awesome.

The chips were pretty standard, but the green salsa was pretty good. It was sort fo a cream green salsa, which I don’t remember having in the past. Not sure what the green thigns in the salsa were, but there were little pieces of white cheese in the salsa. It was really good. While I snacked on chips, I watched awesome Mexican music videos on the televisions on the walls. Mostly techno and dancing type music. Best entertainment ever while eating Mexican food.

The Alambres came out a short while later and looked awesome.

I guess I expected the meat to come on the plate and then be served with tortillas, but the whole thing was sitting on top of like 10 tortillas. I was shocked at the number of onions on the plate, but I guess that’s how these things are made, and I won’t knock it for the amount of onions. I picked off as many as I could and set about rolling up small tacos with the shells. They made 3-bite tacos, so I ended up using al ten of the tortillas. There was plenty of meat and vegetables so I only ate one empty shell. The carnitas were delicious, especially with the bacon pieces added in. Not a ton of bacon (of course there is never too much bacon), but you could definitely taste it in most bites. The red sauce that came with it was really flavorful and had some zing, but wasn’t terribly spicy. I really liked the combo of the jalapenos, the green peppers and the red sauce – perfect spice level. There was quite a bit of grease on my hands and face at the end f the meal, but it was a light and healthy grease, not like a dark and heavy grease. Hahaha. The pile of onions I left on my plate after the meal was embarrassing – I had to hide it with multiple napkins when she cleared my plate.

I finished my meal and the mom came over to clean my table. She came back with the check and the little girl threw a fit because she wanted to hand me the check – clearly this girl loves her job! The mom handed her the check and the little girl handed me the check with a big smile. It was hilarious. The place is really affordable and lunch cost me just over $10 with a drink. No complaints. La Bamba is really good and I’ll likely be back here pretty soon. I hate to skip lunch…

Top 5 things about La Bamba
1. Alambres
2. Super cute little girl being the best server ever
3. Green salsa with the chips
4. Any food with bacon added
5. Generous portions – I got plenty full

Bottom 5 things
1. Lots of onions – might have just been the dish I ordered though
2. There were some grease issues
3. Not used to food being served on a bed of tortillas – might have magnified the grease issue
4. Could have been more bacon – that’s just me though
5. To go menu has a LOT of typos in it – it’s just the librarian in me writing that part. It’s not a big deal, truly

Address:
La Bamba
105 S. Lewis Street
Shakopee, MN 55379

No comments: