Sunday, June 27, 2010

Wampach’s – Shakopee, MN

I needed a drive at lunch the other day – somedays you need to be far from the office to maintain sanity, right? I decided to cross off another Shakopee restaurant from my list. I found a couple on the list were closed when I drove past, but I knew Wampach’s was still open. It’s one of those old-timey staples of a community that’s been there forever – or so I assumed from all the write ups and photos online. I wasn’t far off, actually.

It’s a pretty small diner kind of place. But it’s been updated more than a lot of local diners Iv’e been to. It was homey without being crafty of chinsy. I got seated right away by a super nice kid who looked like he was doing about three jobs. I sat and took a look at the menu. It’s basically a meat and potatoes kind of diner, but some of the dinner specials looked pretty delicious. They serve breakfast all day, but I wasn’t in the mood for that right now. A very nice waitress came over to check on me and see what I wanted. I had decided I was in the mood for a sandwich, despite the fact that Meatloaf was the special of the day and everyone I heard around me had ordered meatloaf. Maybe next time.

I ordered the Dagwamp –which is their take on a Dagwood. It’s basically a ton of meat and cheese on a sandwich. Ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and salad dressing on toasted pumpernickel bread. I had to get it. The sandwiches come with a side or with soup, so I asked about the soup. Cream of Potato soup – I was curious.

The soup came out pretty quickly, and I was very impressed. It was delicious. Big chunks of potato, celery, carrots, and ham. Very flavorful, without overloading it with salt and pepper. I was very happy with this soup, even though it was pretty basic. They did well!

The Dagwamp was also really good. Not the best sandwich I ever ate, but it was really exactly what I needed right then. Really serious sandwich toppings. Great meat flavor (Especially the bacon) and the dressing that was on it perfectly complemented the meat and pumpernickel bread. I loved it. If the cheese weren’t American cheese, it might have been a stellar sandwich, but as it was, it was just really good. Maybe a nice sharp cheddar or provolone would have been nice. Still, it was tasty!

There were a couple of construction guys sitting next to me talking about the days when they drove redi-mix cement trucks. They were complaining that now you can’t drive anywhere with a cooler of beer in your car and drink on the job. Stupid DUI laws and such. Really a hilariously frightening conversation – they were dead serious.

I’ll likely come back here. It was homey and comfortable and the food was delicious. It’s probably worth checking out if you’re close, but maybe not worth a special drive for date night or anything.

Top 5 things about Wampach’s
1. Potato Soup
2. Dagwamp
3. Super friendly staff
4. Very homey atmosphere
5. I think they had Dew, but I was all sugared up at that point, so I passed

Bottom 5 things
1. Not a huge menu, but enough to find some good home cookin
2. Lots of sad and lonely old people sitting around me
3. Loud obnoxious redimix workers complaining about drinking laws
4. It’s not close to anything, unless you live in Shakopee
5. Still don’t know how to pronounce the name…

Wampach’s
126 1st Avenue West
Shakopee, MN 55379

2 comments:

D. Kleindl said...

Wampach's (both A's pronounce as in automobile)...I'm not for sure what time of day you may have visited...lunch time is usually packed with professional people from the Court House who linger some days for hours at a time. Many major transactions have taken place over their famous Onion Rings well into the afternoon. Many of the late afternoon clients are ppl who have been coming to Wampach's for decades...who are retired Rahr Malting employees who are far from being poor...most are millionairs. All of our local attractions are within 10 miles or less of Wampach's including, Valleyfair, (6 miles) Renaissance Festival, (10) Mystic Lake,(8) Canterbury Park, (4) Murphy's Landing (4). They have a 4 page menu which our daughter (Vanessa) has several of her photos on the front cover. Most establishments this size have only a single page menu written on both sides. Everything is homemade at Wampach's and is always very tasty.
My husband drives up in his vehicle and depending on the time of day his meal is already ordered when he pulls in to the parking lot.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure about both A's as in auto? I've always heard it as, and called it, wom-pock's (Wam as in com-posite and pach as in pock-et).

Nice little place. I should probably eat there more often. It's one of those places that gets a lot of regulars. I'm thankful for any non-chain options in Shakopee.