Wednesday, August 21, 2013

PM BBQ - Chesterfield, MO


A bunch of us were down in the St. Louis area to watch the Minnesota RollerGirls play against the St. Louis Arch Rivals in a an event of roller derby awesomeness. We needed a substantial lunch, and one of the girls wanted BBQ. Coach and I had just been to Pappy’s smokehouse the previous day and knew they wouldn’t have time to wait in line and still make it to the bout later that night. So I checked some reviews and found PM BBQ was rated quite well.
The menu had some delicious sounding things on it, but what really drew my attention was something called “Crispy Ribs”. I asked the kid behind the counter and he raved about them. They’re flash fried and then covered in an Asian BBQ glaze. Oh yeah, I wanted that. ...And a side of Sweetcorn Spoonbread and some mac and cheese. D.Rough got a pulled pork sandwich and the same sides as me. I also saw they had a black cherry flavored soda by Fitz (a local soda brewer with awesome rootbeer), and I wasn’t leaving without trying that.

The food was out really fast and looked tasty.

The sweetcorn spoonbread was sort of a cornbready mishmash with some great flavor. I wasn’t sure what it would be, but I’m glad I got this. It was perfectly moist without being sloppy or dried out. Well played, PM. The mac and cheese was just average. Nothing to rave nor complain about.

The ribs were pretty awesome, I must admit. They had a sweet glaze on them with a very small amount of kick. The ribs weren’t incredibly crispy or anything, but I could tell they were fried because of the thin bark that was there. There was just slightly less meat on the crispy ribs than on the standard ribs, but that’s because flash frying things generally shrinks them up. I was surprised by these ribs, but in a good way. I’d definitely get these again.
D.Rough had good things to say about the pulled pork. Not the best in the world, but she did tell other people about her delicious sandwich, so I’m guessing it was much better than average.

And of course, the black cherry soda from Fitz was better than I even expected it to be. I need to find out if they distribute in Minnesota…

(I also got rave reviews about the sliders from Coach, for the record)

Not enough for a top 5, but suffice it to say, it was really good.

www.pmbbq.com

No comments: