Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Ham Day – Minneapolis, MN

D.Rough and I have unusual/quirky/weird/charming/intelligent/nerdy/fun friends. That goes without saying. So it isn’t unusual when friends invite us to parties named “Ham Day Celebration”. I didn’t know there was such a thing as Ham Day, but I’m absolutely willing to celebrate it.

We showed up to a complete stranger’s house at the assigned time and with a considerable appetite. We were shocked at what transpired. These wonderful people had procured a 21 pound ham. I’m not sure if you realize how big that is, but it’s basically a dog-sized amount of meat, and not a lap dog, either. The owners of said ham have been infusing and soaking this gargantuan piece of meat in bourbon for days and have cooked it in an oven for untold hours. I don’t even know how long you’d cook such a thing, but they’ve done the math (and this isn’t their first time hosting Ham Day, either).

There is other food available, but when they bring out the ham, it’s quite a celebration. People cheer like savages and then the ham is lit on fire. Let me repeat that: THE HAM IS LIT ON FIRE. The boozey ham-cano is watched and oohed and ahhed over and then the first slices are cut. Hilarious and awesome. There is soooo much bourbon in this thing.

I have to say, I’m pretty impressed by this whole tradition. I’m surprised more people don’t try this at home with a much smaller ham. For the record, I ate an incredible amount of ham at this party….

No comments: