Monday, October 26, 2015

Amato’s – Omaha, NE



My high school friend Becky married a wonderful woman from Omaha and gave me some suggestions for dining while I was there. She said I needed to check out Amato’s, an old Italian diner that serves American breakfasts with Italian twists on them. Everyone else I was with bailed on me for breakfast, so I went to Amato’s myself.

The inside looks like it used to be a meat counter or deli, but it’s now a bright open restaurant filled with people. The menu had some really tasty looking items on it. More than I even expected. Omelets, pancakes, eggs, and other assorted items. I really wanted a Gut Buster omelet, but I finally decided on Larry’s Volcano – the name sounds worse than it really is. It’s biscuits topped with eggs, potatoes, sausage, cheese, and gravy. Warning, this is a risky order  – I’m a biscuits and gravy snob from way back, since my family hails from Alabama and does shit RIGHT there.

The food arrived very quickly and looked appetizing. Flaky-looking biscuits were almost entirely covered with gravy, which is what I needed. The gravy is decent, it’s still more flour and water than sausage, but the flavor wasn’t bland, so they definitely get points for that. That’s hard to do without overdoing it on the salt and pepper – which Amato’s didn’t do, thankfully. I think they did a pretty good job with this. The potatoes were nice and crispy. If I were to complain about anything at all, and please know that this is really minor, would be that there were onions in the dish and not on the menu. I love onions, but I’m slightly allergic, so I had to pick out as many as I could and deal with the repercussions later. Worth it though! I’d come back here again if I’m in Omaha.

I also ordered a glass of milk. They brought me out the largest glass of milk I’ve ever gotten. I’m not joking, it was at least as large as the giant glasses you get at Texas Road House. I’m guessing it was at least a quart of milk. That rules so much. I love me some Vitamin D!

Can’t wait to come back to Amato’s!!! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did I do this to myself? I've had a stomach bug for almost two weeks and am so goddamn hungry I'm salivating over the Chili's and Red Lobster commercials. Now I want biscuits and gravy so much. And a tenderloin sandwich. And chicken with homemade noodles served over mashed potatoes. And sliced potatoes fried crispy in bacon grease with eggs cracked over the top and everything scrambled together. And a ribeye steak cooked medium rare with a nice char on the outside. I'm so hungry.

Joyce B said...

Thannks for posting this