Monday, October 12, 2015

Taco Libre (reboot) - West St. Paul, MN

Since Taco Libre opened up, I said I wasn't going to write a second review of anything, but I changed my mind. Make sure you check out the first write-up, so you know what this place is all about. And, I will still stand by the fact that it isn't just the kitsch of the luchador theme that is amazing - the food is also REALLY quite good. Plus, you can usually catch a soccer match on the televisions in there, which is a bonus.

I'm a huge fan of pozole - its like a Mexican pork stew that most restaurants only serve on the weekends. Taco Libre is badass enough to sell it every day of the week. It's absolutely delicious. It comes with the traditional accoutrements for you to add at your discretion (lettuce, limes, and radishes), and it also comes with a smoky pepper sauce and a small amount of herbs and seasonings. This way you can add as little or as much as you'd like.  Oddly enough, it also comes with two tostadas, which I was thrilled with.

If you look at the picture, you can see how much pork is in this soup. It's a really massive amount in a tasty tomato-based broth. Lots of hominy in there, as well. I'm not kidding, this menu item is one of the best (and I've liked everything I've tried at this place so far).

Just go here and get the pozole. It isn't much of a gamble at $7.50 and you will likely have trouble finishing the generous portion you receive. Don't bother ordering anything else for yourself, as you won't need it.

Thank you, Taco Libre, for making one of my favorite soups available during all of your open hours!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI: Most traditional Mexican restaurants and taquerias serve pozole with tostadas.

nancy in st. paul

p.s. If you haven't been before, Los Ocampo on Suburban in St. Paul is my favorite Mexican place in the Twin Cities. All their masa items are outstanding.