Sunday, January 10, 2010

Stabby’s Café – Minneapolis, MN

After eyeopeners, most of us are usually hungry. Today, Stalone said we should head over to one of his favorite places and grab some awesome breakfast. It was right by his house, so we could go hang, and kill the rest of the day watching football and talking about metal. We all piled into various cars and headed over to Stabby’s.

The place is a small mom and pop place without the mom and pop. It’s more like mom and pop’s grandkids. The menu was decent for a breakfast place and they stop serving at 3pm, I think. So mostly breakfast and lunches here. I was dying for an omelet and they had one with my name on it: MEAT! (yes, in all capital letters and with an exclamation point right there on the menu). This three-egg (2010 is the year of three, remember) has polish sausage, breakfast sausage, chorizo, bacon, and ham inside. I even ordered pepperjack cheese for the inside of it. How could you go wrong with that? The server asked if I wanted regular hashbrowns or Cajun hashbrowns, and the answer to that question is always “Cajun”.

The food came out pretty quickly while we chatted about roller derby and metal and football while Sweets and I were completely blinded by the sun coming through the window. I dug right into one of the meatiest omelets I’ve ever had. It was delicious. Lots of peppery cheese inside and plenty of meat. Loved every bite of this thing. I was, however, disappointed with the cajuniosity of the hashbrowns. I really couldn’t tast the Cajun spice in them, so I was kind of bummed about that. The wheat toast was pretty straight forward toast, so I won’t bore you with those details.

If any of you are Michiganders, they serve Flint-style coney dogs – with a dry sauce (sounds contradictory to me, but what do I know?). They also serve whatever brand of dogs they serve there, since some people are really excited about that. I am blanking on the name of those dogs and I’m too lazy to actually look it up right now. Maybe later. If my sister, PalmMapper, comes up for a visit, I’ll take her and her husband there and see how they really compare.
Due to the awesome omelet I had and the super nice waitress, I’d go back to Stabby’s anytime. I wonder what their lunch time food is like. I might have to try it sometime and report back. I don’t think you’ll do too bad here if you know it’s a small diner. You won’t get cloth napkins and wine, but you’ll get good home cooking here.

Top 5 things about Stabby’s Café
1. MEAT! Omelet, spelled showing the proper respect for the meat
2. Server was super good to us
3. They have a tv, so if you’re into watching football, you can do that here
4. Decent sized breakfast menu and delicious looking lunch menu
5. Breakfast with roller girls – cha-ching!

Bottom 5 things
1. I know Gerd loved her greasy spoon diners – this one isn’t particularly greasy, but she would have been down with it anyway, I’m sure of it.
2. Cajun hashbrowns weren’t nearly Cajun-y enough
3. I was completely blinded by the sun where I was sitting
4. I really wanted to try one of their coneys or burgers, but I was too pumped up for breakfast
5. No restaurant biscuits and gravy compare to my Alabama recipe

www.stabbyscafe.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am dieting and am totally eating vicariously through your blog.

Carry on.

Ruby James Vita said...

I always found the name in correlation to the location hilarious.