Saturday, December 25, 2010

Capital View Café – St. Paul, MN

D.Rough and a few other people have told me about this place at the top of the Smith Avenue Highbridge in St. Paul. They’ve said it’s a great breakfast and lunch place – the reason for that is they only serve breakfast and lunch here. I was a little intrigued when D.Rough told me it’s sort of a hybrid American and Mexican food place.

We braved the snowstorm to try it out. Fortunately, the snowstorm helped keep people away and we ended up not waiting for a table. It’s much larger inside than you think from the street. But I’ve still seen people standing outside in the morning waiting for tables. It must be good, right?

The menu is an awesome mix of American favorites and Mexican favorites. It was really difficult to decide, honestly. I was saddened by the lack of Chilaquiles on the menu, since I was kind of looking forward to that, but I finally went with the Machaca and D.Rough wanted the Cajun Breakfast. Even the waitress commented that it sounded good and she wished she were eating with us.

The food came out really quickly, to our surprise. The Machaca was REALLY good. Seasoned shredded beef, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, all scrambled with eggs and served with refried beans and tortillas. The beef was very tasty and the veggies in there gave it some pop, so it wasn’t just meat and eggs. The refried beans had a nice layer of cheddar cheese shredded on top, which I’m a fan of. Really good dish.

The Cajun breakfast is frankly a bit of a slop pile. It’s a pile of hashbrowns filled with green peppers, onions and mushrooms, covered in melted cheese and two overeasy eggs, then the whole things I covered with Cajun Hollandaise – seriously covered. D.Rough assures me this thing is good (and it does look sort of good)(just really messy), but said the next time she ordered this, she’d get the Cajun hollandaise sauce on the side for a little balance. It wasn’t really spicy, but it had some seasoning in it, so there was a bit of flavor mixed in with the hollandaise.

This place is pretty good. We’ll be back, especially since I have a groupon of some sort. I think there are a handful of other things on the large menu I’d like to try, so we’ll see how that goes.

www.capitalviewcafe.com

No comments: