Sunday, May 26, 2013

Glazed Donut Bread Pudding at Senor Wong’s – St. Paul, MN


This isn’t a full review of Senor Wong’s, but I like to give a shout out for creativity when it is due. After a generous meal at Senor Wong’s, I made the mistake of asking about dessert. Normally, I don’t care much about dessert, but I was curious what this place would be offering. I shuodnl’t have asked.

The special dessert was a Glazed Donut Bread Pudding. The more he explained, the clearer it became that I would be ordering this. I’ll explain a minute. But first, here is what they brought out to me.

It’s a glazed donut bread pudding, but it also has a lemon ginger glace, bananas foster, and fortune cookie streusel. Who even thinks of these things? The combination of these things was pretty creative and delicious. Very impressive. Well, most food you hit with a blow torch is impressive, to be fair. But this was a pretty delicious dessert. I WILL say that it was probably the most dense cake-like thing I’ve ever eaten. It actually took effort to get the fork through the bread itself. Like a brick. I also wish I could have tasted a little more donut in there, but it was very subtly there.

Again, I’m not a seeker of bread pudding in most situations, but I did have a fabulous donut bread pudding at the The Donut Cooperative in Minneapolis. That one set a pretty high standard for me, to be sure. But this version at Senor Wong’s was pretty good.

No comments: