Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Hattie B's Hot Chicken - Nashville, TN

When someone says you have to try the Hot Chicken in Nashville, you just do it. I assure you, you can't go wrong. We got fantastic recommendations about Hattie B's, so I rounded up D.Rough and A-Wow and we Uber-ed right to the front door. And, before you ask, yes, there will be a line out the front door.

Deciding on the hot chicken is the easy part of the menu. Deciding which side items you'd like is the really hard part. I went with collard greens, since we're in the south, and also the potato salad.

We found a spot on the enclosed patio and simply watched other people enjoying their food. Everyone had smiles and were talking excitedly about their food. When ours came out, we knew why.

The hot chicken is beyond comprehension why it is so good. I think the chicken is seasoned, and then the batter is seasoned, and then the seasoning is seasoned. Depending on your level, it's going to be hot. I ordered some sort of middle of the road and it was perfect. Amazingly tender chicken and the perfect amount of breading to not hide the chicken, but simply protect it. It's amazing. My lips were tingling but my eyes weren't tearing up. Like I said, some of the best chicken I ever had.

The collard greens were done right - like they know how to do in the south. A little kick of pepper and some bits of meat in there. Excellent.

The potato salad was good. No complaints. Nothing I haven't had before, but it was a great accompaniment to the spicy chicken. I'm glad I got it.

And then, when you're done, you can sop all the extra juice from the chicken up with with what bread it's served on. That's one of my favorite parts of southern cooking - the soppin'.

A-Wow would also recommend the extreme rootbeer float he ordered for dessert. It helped cool his face down after all the hot chicken.

I'd recommend Hattie B's to everyone I get a chance to talk to about it.

Top 5 things about Hattie B's Hot Chicken
1. Hot Chicken
2. Collard Greens
3. The menu is thorough
4. White bread for soppin'
5. They DO have beer

Bottom 5 things
1. You WILL wait in line here (but you won't complain once you have food in your mouth)
2. ...And then you might wait in line to get a seat after you order
3. I tried really hard to find other bad things, but there aren't any

www.hattieb.com

No comments: