Friday, June 7, 2013

Cempazuchi Comida Brava – Milwaukee, WI

D.Rough and I had seen one of the Food Channels cover this awesomely lively Mexican restaurant in Milwaukee and had filed it away for future reference. When people asked us where to go, D.Rough suddenly remembered Cempazuchi. I’m sooo glad she did.

The inside is decorated in crazy awesome garish bright colors that make you smile even when you don't want to and it even has decorations made specifically for us (or so we assume): Luchadore masks and jammer helmets. Hahahaha.

The margarita special of the day was pineapple mango, so a bunch of us went in on a pitcher. That’s how you play this game! Also, this place has hundreds of tequilas in stock and can make you any kind of margarita with any kind of tequila you can think of. Get adventurous!

Bam. Margaritas.


The menu had a lot of authentic dishes on it. You can find the standards like tacos, tostadas, and burritos, but you have to look hard and read the fine print. My advice, go with something authentic and delicious sounding, or have your server suggest something. Ours was fantastic. I decided on the Tacos al Pastor de Pato (duck tacos): wrapped in blue corn tortillas and topped with tropical salad salsa. D.Rough got the Enchilada Oaxaquenas: tortillas stacked with filling and a red chile salsa, chicken, and pork.

They brought us some chips and salsa, but not standard salsa. One was a chili pepper-garlic salsa with some kick, the other was a sesame seed and peanut salsa. The chili one started out my favorite, but then it switched to the sesame seed one. Really very unique and delicious. You will be asking for more of this.

The food was pretty awesome. I heard this from almost everyone. The Duck Tacos were some of the best version of duck I’ve had in years. It was very moist and seasoned and served on very small blue corn tortillas. I thought I’d be disappointed with the small size fo these, but I honestly wasn’t. It was just the right portion size for the delivery of this amazing duck. And the vibrant and spicy almost-fruit-salad salsa was great. The blue corn has a very distinct corn flavor, but not overwhelming – I just loved these, honestly.

D.Rough’s Enchiladas Oaxaquenas were also very good. The shredded pork and chicken were a great match for the rich red salsa (not spicy, just rich and smoky and tasty). It was filling, but thankfully, it wasn’t a massive portion – just about right (at least right enough that I still got some left-overs hahaha).

I heard a "meh" from the corner of the table that got the torta, but that's the only downside I heard.
But, the winner of the day was Second-Hand Smoke’s Arracheras en Chile: basically a skirt steak in a chili sauce with some other veggies. After having a bite of her dish, I knew she had won the champion of the world for ordering this day. The meat was falling-apart-tender and the flavor was some of the best I’ve ever had. It was brilliant. Order this when you go there. You’ll be glad you did.

And a huge massive thank-you to Mama Smoke, who bought us all lunch, when she absolutely didn’t have to. She’s one of the coolest people in roller derby I know and we will continue to make sure to include her in as much as possible on these road trips. She’s the proud mother of one of the top derby skaters in the world and she’s one of our gang – we’re really happy to have them both!!!

Top 5 things about Cempazuchi Comida Brava
1. Arrecheras en Chile
2. Tacos al Pastor de Pato
3. Enchiladas Oaxaquenas
4. Pineapple Mango Margaritas
5. Our server and his trust sidekick, Don, were wonderful to us

Bottom 5 things
1. Aside from it not being next door to my house, I’m hard-pressed to find any downside
2.
3.
4.
5.

www.cempazuchi.com

No comments: