Friday, July 18, 2014

BYO Burger – West St. Paul, MN

D.Rough and I drive past this place every time we go to the gym – which I’ll tell you is NOT very helpful. We caved one day and I thought I’d let you guys know how it is.

The inside of this place is interesting. Odd, but interesting. It’s a construction-themed restaurant, which makes sense when you use the Build-Your-Own part at the beginning. So there’s all kinds of black and yellow stripes on things and orange warning signs and such.

Once you look at the various menu boards, you can decide to build your own burger or pick one of the signature pre-designed burger options. I figured I’d take the easy way out and get one of the signature ideas. The Hawaiian Burger sounded good to me – grilled ham, pineapple, salsa, lettuce, and tomato, served on a multi-grain bun. D.Rough go the Atomic Burger – fried onion strings, pepperjack cheese, jalapenos, horsey sauce, and BYOB sauce on an onion roll. And we caved even further when we ordered some cheese curds – I may or may not have talked D.Rough into getting these with me.

The Atomic Burger looked good, though I thought it would have more onion rings on it. That being said, it was a delicious burger. The meat was juicy without being greasy, and the sauces were well developed. This was a good burger!

The Hawaiian Burger was also quite good. The salsa didn’t taste like it was from a can/jar and the ham (or Canadian bacon) added some good flavor to the already delicious burger. It was a little messy, but really quite fantastic.

And of course, the cheese curds were amazing. It’s hard to mess these things up. They were really what we both wanted.

Not enough things to do a Top 5 list on, but pretty much everything was great, especially for a small chain burger place. It wasn’t a greasy spoon burger, it was just a well put-together burger. I’m looking forward to going back and trying out my own concoction on these guys. (and more cheese curds).

No comments: