Friday, April 21, 2017

Pig Floyd’s Urban Barbakoa – Orlando, Florida



Is Florida even on the map when it comes to BBQ? Well, Pig Floyd’s certainly is. They’ve got a bunch fo traditional smoked meats, but I was there for some different things. D.Rough and I thought we’d have a light lunch before going to hang with my relatives in Orlando. Light lunch is something that I don’t have a good track record on. But I thought I’d give it a shot.

I know this place is known for their ribs, but I knew I had to eat light. So we got an order of Yuca Fries, their signature sandwich called The Big Floyd, an elote (Mexican street corn), and a butter chicken taco. Yes, you read that right. Butter Chicken – as in Indian food style butter chicken.

This place is hoppin’, for the record. People inside, people outside, people in line, people picking up orders to go, etc. You get the point. Be ready for a wait – but it’s worth it.

The Big Floyd pretty much has everything on it. Oakwood smoke brisket, pulled pork, sausage, house-made sweet BBQ sauce, citrus peanut slaw, on a toasted pineapple coconut roll. You can taste all of the things in there, as well. Lots of meat on this, but I really loved the slaw that was on top. The roll was fantastic, as well. The fries were fine, but nothing to note, especially compared to all the other stuff here.




The yucca fries were good, and the dip that was with it was also good. We’ve had better, but we’ve also had worse. I wouldn’t hesitate to get these again, so I’d still say they’re better than average yucca fries.

The Mexican street corn wasn’t the best, however. I know we’re spoiled with the neighborhood we live in being so Hispanic, but we can get some REALLY good and messy street corn where we’re from. This was a little lacking in ingredient quantity. But, of course, that didn’t stop me from devouring it quickly. Hahaha.
The butter chicken taco was a little less incredible than I had set my expectations for, but it was still REALLY good. I wanted it to be good enough to move to Orlando for, but it wasn’t. But I would still recommend it to people. The amount could have been larger on the tortilla, but what was there had a great flavor. And the peppers on top of everything also added to it. I really liked it, but I think I had set my hopes REALLY high. Hahaha. Great concept, however!

No comments: