Thursday, March 17, 2011

El Gordo – St. Louis Park, MN (take 2)

I hadn’t been back to El Gordo in almost two years, so when Trash wanted to go to lunch, I thought of this place for some reason. Last time, I gave it a mediocre review, so I thought I’d give it another shot. I’ll try to do a quick update rather than a full review.

The menu has a lot of items on it, and a bunch of lunch specials for cheap. Consider ordering off this limited menu if you’re strapped for time or cash. El Gordo has chips and salsa for your table, which I love, as well as some white cheesy ranch seasoned dip for your chips. Trash didn’t care for this, so I devoured all of it myself.

I had the chimichanga the last time, so I thought I’d get something different. I went with Combination number 23 – taco, enchilada, and chalupa. Trash got three cheese enchiladas, with extra cheese – she’s a vegetarian, so it isn’t weird. They also have Dew, so that’s what I got. Wurd.

The food came out quickly while we chatted. It looked pretty good, with the exception of the enchilada sauce. It was quite a bit water-ier than I’m used to seeing. Thankfully, it was only visual, because it tasted fine. I’m fairly picky about my enchilada sauce, so I was glad to see it had great flavor. Maybe it’s just their own particular style of enchilada sauce and I’m not used to it. There was tons of cheese on everything, which also added to the tasty-ness. The taco was standard, although packed full of ingredients. And the chalupa is what many people call a tostada with guacamole, so be sure you’re getting what you think you’re getting when you order it. It was delicious, so I’m sure you wouldn’t be disappointed when it arrived, even if it wasn’t what you pictured in your head.

I didn’t get a chance to try the cheese enchiladas because by the time I had looked up from my plate for a breath of air, they were completely cleared off Trash’s plate. I was pretty impressed by that. As you can see from the photo, by the time I got a chance to take a photo, there was already one gone. Impressive. She did give them a good rating though. I won’t tell you who she compared them to, because it was an obvious victory for El Gordo, even with Trash being sober.

Overall, a much better return to El Gordo and I hope it isn’t another two years before I head back to El Gordo. Maybe I’ll call up DawgMan at our old work place and see if he wants to hit it up again!

No comments: