Thursday, October 3, 2013

Mellow Mushroom – Hickory, NC

While I was visiting friends in Hickory, they suggested I try out Mellow Mushroom while I was out running around playing disc golf. They said the pizza there is outstanding and very creative. Say no more – I’ll go!

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was much nicer on the inside than I expected. I know this is sort of a southern chain, but I had never eaten there. The inside has some pretty funky colors and designs and eclectic people. Some hippies, some business people, some football jerseys. A little mix of everything. I ordered an Olde Hickory Red Ale and checked out the menu.

The menu was even more creative than I thought it could be. I really wanted about 15 different pizzas there. I had it narrowed down to two different kinds. When I asked the server, Delaney, which one I should get, she told me they do half and half pizzas! Hooooray! I got to try both of my choices. Philosopher’s Pie and the Maui Wowie. 10” pizza, all for me.

The pizza arrived pretty quickly and was just what I wanted. The Philospher’s Pie was a olive oil and garlic base with grilled steak, Portobello mushrooms, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, provolone, feta, and mozzarella cheese. I really liked this pizza and wasn’t disappointed in my decision at all. Great steak flavor and delicious cheese. There was a lot of Portobello on the half which gave it a pretty solid earthy flavor. I honestly didn’t notice it until I bit into my first bite of the Maui Wowie.

A pesto base with ham, pineapple, jerk chicken, banana peppers, applewood smoked bacon, and mozzarella. This pizza was very vibrant with the pineapple and banana peppers brightening the whole pizza up. The bacon didn’t hurt the whole thing either. But the best part was the jerk chicken seasoning- incredible. One of the better pizzas I’ve had.

For those in Minneapolis, I’d compare this pizza to Pizza Luce, but I think it’s a little better than that. Very fresh ingredients and very creative combinations. I know the combos they have are heavy on ingredients, which I know some people don’t like. If you’re a crust or a cheese person, this may not be for you. But I, for one, love tons of ingredients, especially fresh and creative ones.

Thanks for the recommendation, Aunt Kathee!! I'll not hesitate to eat at another one the next time I see it.

www.mellowmushroom.com

No comments: