Sunday, December 13, 2009

Gebby’s Family Restaurant – Peoria, IL

While visiting Peoria, I forced my cousin and her friend to get up at the crack of 10 and meet me for breakfast. I also tricked my friend Charro into going out for breakfast – even though I stayed out with her until like 3am… She hates me now, for sure. The previous night we had asked friends for suggestions on where to eat and one of them said Gebby’s Family Restaurant on War Memorial Drive. We drove by it the previous night so we could find it again in the daylight.

We all showed up roughly the same time, so it worked out well. The place is a small town greasy spoon diner – which means it’s going to be good. They had a decent sized menu, so I had my order narrowed down to like 5 things when the waitress showed up to take our order. I decided on the Number 1 Breakfast – eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and toast.

The food took longer than I would have thought to come out and there were a couple of mistakes, but it ended up being fine in the long run. It’s kind of hard to screw up breakfast food (though there are definite exceptions, as I’ve noted in numerous places on this blog), so I won’t go into too much detail on the various things, but I can vouch the bacon was the best part of the meal. It’s hard for it not to be the best part of any meal, truly.

On a fun note, Charro and I were trying to figure out if a guy sitting across the restaurant was our friend Beefwheel, from back in the day. I hadn’t seen him in years, but he’s pretty unmistakable. I finally just went over and asked if it was him. I’m sure it embarrassed him in front of his family and all, but I was glad I did it. It had been too long. He said if he would have seen me with Coach, he would have known for sure it was me. But no Coach means no Chao in a lot of people’s books – especially in Peoria.

I don’t know that I would head back to Gebby’s with any sort of passion, but if someone wanted me to meet them there, I would go back.

It was a standard breakfast, so I won’t bore you with a top 5 list on this.

No comments: