Monday, February 22, 2010

Manny’s Tortas – Minneapolis, MN

TheDoctor and I needed to do lunch and since I suggested Mexican food of some sort, he said he had heard about Manny’s Tortas in the Midtown International Market building on Lake Street. I had heard Manny’s is pretty good, so I told him it was a deal .He texted me the address and then he put 125 after the address. I assumed this was what time I was supposed to meet him at the place, however, as I discovered when I arrived a half hour after TheDoctor, it was the number of the booth in the food hall. Sorry, Doctor.

If you haven’t been to the Midtown International Market, you need to go. There’s all kinds of food booths from many different countries inside and some small market-type shops. It’s really a fun place and there’s enough food that an entire family would be able to find something to eat for everyone there. It’s amazing. I don’t frequent this place often enough, honestly.

Manny’s Tortas are basically Mexican sandwiches (similar to Pambazos) and there’s a variety of insides you can get on them at Manny’s – all kinds of various meats and vegetables. I went with the Chorizo and Eggs Torta and TheDoctor asked about Manny’s Special, which appears to be a couple different kind of meats, but then lost me when she said mushrooms and onions, sadly. I also got a Pineapple Jarritos, since they’re my favorite.

We grabbed a spot in one of the many eating areas nearby and checked out a photo of Guy Fieri standing with Manny himself – even Guy Fieri has good taste! The food comes out pretty quickly and you can watch them throw it together. All the tortas come with onions, tomato, and all kinds of other stuff, so if you are a picky eater, check the menu board to find out what to have them leave off. I forgot to do that until it was too late. Oh well.


The torta was delicious. The chorizo was cooked right into the eggs and was really flavorful. I really liked it. The bread is thick and chewy (not in a bad way) and the ingredients tasted fresh. The torta comes with plain Lay’s potato chips which never thrill me, but I guess if you have to have something, they’re not a bad choice. The real meal is totally the torta, obviously. You won’t be disappointed with it. It’s perfect for one of those days where you’re trying to decide if you want a sandwich or if you want Mexican food. It’s the perfect combo.

I’d definitely hit up Manny’s again. Although, the next time I hit up Midtown International Market, I’ll probably do Safari or the West Indies place that’s in there. I don’t think you’ll go wrong at Midtown, no matter where you decide to eat.

Top 5 things about Mannny’s Tortas
1. Chorizo and Egg Torta
2. They have Jarritos
3. Super friendly staff
4. TheDoctor and I never have normal conversations (aside from talking about his love Giata)
5. Free parking in the ramp across the street

Bottom 5 things
1. The last time I was at Midtown International Market was with Gerd and it was a little bittersweet going back there this time without her.
2. I didn’t notice the onions on my torta until it was too late – it was fine though
3. I’m not a fan of plain Lay’s potato chips
4. The tortas are a little messy to eat
5. I know some people are picky about eating off paper/Styrofoam plates, so if that’s you, then Manny’s isn’t for you

www.mannystortas.com

No comments: