Brunch this week started with pre-drinks at the VFW – the best drink deal in town, as I’ve said before. Seriously cheap drinks on a Sunday morning, and the people there are good people. Plus, HotGirl was in town as it was her birthday and she was celebrating by watching HotGirlsBrother get all sloppy drunk the previous night while she stayed sober. Hilarious.
After a couple of rounds, we headed across the parking lot to the Herkimer, which I’ve heard people recommend, I just haven’t gotten there yet – until today. The Herkimer is owned by the same guy as Moto-I, so I was pretty sure I was going to like it. The inside has a similar feel to Moto-I, but isdecidedly American, so really clean and bright and friendly. The menu is average size featuring breakfast foods until 3pm and appetizers and some lunch-type offerings. I decided to go with the Morning Mixup which is eggs, peppers, cheese, served over seasoned red potatoes with your choice of meat. I got the sausage on the food, but ordered a plate of bacon for myself since bacon is the most important part of any meal.
The meals came out (after more drinks) and were really good. I didn’t hear anyone complain about anything (except that HotGirlsBrother kept spilling drinks at both the VFW and the Herkimer – all over the tables)(the waiter brought him a cup with a lid so he’d stop spilling). The bacon was perfectly cooked and the Mixup was excellent. It seemed small when they brought it out, but I got good and full, so I really won’t say it was a small portion – just visually. I tried a bite of someone’s Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs in it and it was really tasty. I might go with that next time. Although the nachos looked really good as well. I suppose I’ll be back here soon, since the food was really quite tasty.
As usual, things got good and loud with our brunch group and HotGirlsBrother got shushed a number of times, especially when he found out I had never seen “It’s a Wonderful Life” nor “Miracle on 34th Street” and he went ballistic (and knocked over a drink). But these are great brunch people who know how to have a good time.
Top 5 things about the Herkimer
1. Morning Mixup
2. Side of Bacon!!!
3. Collectible pint glasses
4. Macaroni and cheese with hot dogs
5. Got to hang with HotGirl – it’s been far too long
Bottom 5 things
1. Gerd would have made me take her here for breakfast a lot if she would have gotten to try it
2. Godzilla-style drink spilling
3. The mini egg sammiches sound delightful, but I was warned against ordering them as they’re “too mini”
4. It was extremely difficult to NOT eat someone’s bacon while they were in the restroom for like 30 minutes
5. One of our regulars got called away for “jesus practice” since he’s doing something for a church on easter (fortunately, he’d only had a sip, and not the usual 5 – ha ha)