EyeHeartPizza is moving back to Denver, so she’s making sure she gets some quality Chao-time this week. Trash and I planned to take her out for Vietnamese food and invited DeltaForceCommander and FireRetarded along as well. Trash bailed on us due to a lengthy conference call at work, so we went without her.
The inside of Cam Ranh Bay looks fine, with just the right amount of dirt on the drop ceiling to make you feel at home. It’s not dirty by any stretch, but it’s well worn. We got seated right away and scoured the menu. The lunch section looked like where the deals were at. It comes with soup and an appetizer for $7.99. There’s about 25 lunch dishes available and 4 or 5 apps, so you’ve got some choices.
I ordered the Ginger Pork and upchgarged to get a fresh spring roll (it’s my kryptonite). DeltaForceCommander got beef lo mein and without vegetables (I’m beginning to think she and Coach are related) and cellophane noodle soup. FireRetarded and EyeHeartPizza both got sesame chicken and cream cheese wontons (and FireRetarded got an egg roll as well).
The appetizers and hot & sour soup came out in less than 5 minutes. Then the meals came out a minute later. I hadn’t even taken a photo of my apps before my entrée came out. Weird but amazingly fast.
The wontons were enormous and very tasty. The fried outside was a little doughy, but I honestly don’t mind that – some people are picky about it, but I like them that way. VERY good wontons. FireRetarded said his egg roll was the best he’d ever had. High praise indeed! I wish I would have gotten that. The cellophane noodle soup didn’t pass DeltaForceCommander’s scrutinizing palate, mainly due to the amount of vegetables she hadn’t expected – but FireRetarded loved it during his third course. The fresh spring rolls were fine, but not stellar. Loosely wrapped and maybe not as fresh tasting as I’ve had before. They were good though – no complaints honestly.
The food itself was an overall disappointment. Everyone complained about the lack of flavor in their dishes. It was like the food came out super fast but missed the flavor sprinkle area of the kitchen. The ginger pork was very bland and the rice actually had more flavor. I tried some of EyeHeartPizza’s sesame chicken sauce and it was oddly devoid of flavor. DeltaForceCommander’s dish was the one least likely to have flavor, due to its lack of vegetables, but it ended up being one of the more flavorful dishes. It just seemed a bit lacking.
To wrap it all up, the appetizers are worth going here for – they’re really good. However, if you plan to continue your dining experience, you might consider going someplace else for your entrée. I’m not blacklisting the place, but I’ll find another place to go before I head back here.
Top 5 things about Cam Ranh Bay
1. Cream Cheese Wontons
2. Egg Roll (I’m going based on two people’s opinions – I can’t vouch myself)
3. Cellophane Noodle Soup
4. Super fast with the food
5. Menu has lots of items on it to choose from including a lot of vegetarian items (vegetarians don’t mind if there’s no flavor – they’re used to it – burn)
Bottom 5 things
1. I always wish Gerd was along with when I have librarian lunches. She loved DeltaForceCommander and FireRetarded
2. Super lack of flavor in the entrees
3. The server never seemed to know which table had which food. He would bring a tray out and hope someone asked for their food off it
4. It’s EyeHeartPizza and I’s last friend lunch together… sigh… cry… drink… cry… drink… punch
5. EyeHeartPizza and I got the exact same fortune. DeltaForceCommander and FireRetarded got the exact same fortune. Time to stir the box of fortune cookies people.