Saturday, April 30, 2011

Red Oak Park Disc Golf Course – Burnsville, MN

Once a week, some of the guys and I get up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday and head out to play disc golf. Whomever decided that 7:30 or 8:00 am on a Saturday was a good idea has taken a few blows to the head to have that make sense. We’re all really evenly matched (which is to say we all suck), so it stays fun. No one walks away with it every week, thankfully. The winner of the week gets to pick the course for the next week. The fact that the Twin Cities has more than 20 courses helps keep the variety in our game.

I believe I won the previous week, so I suggested Red Oak Park. I hadn’t played there before and wanted to check it out. I heard it was a longer course, and sounded like it might be my kind of course. BobaFred picked me up and we headed to Burnsville – no one else could make it.

I forgot to mention that despite the fact it was in the 60s days earlier, we woke up to find two inches of snow on the ground. In April. Nice.

There is a bizarre course map sign at the beginning of the course that I took a picture of. It lists drawings of all the holes, but it isn’t like you’re going to remember them once you step away from the sign. That is, unless you take a photo of it, like I did. Now you’ve got a mobile course map in your pocket. Cha-ching! The course is really a 9-hole course with a couple sets of tees to stretch it to a 20-hole course. From what BobaFred tells me, the course was completely redesigned in 2010 and now took most of the longer holes and cut them into two holes. This shortens things up quite a bit, but having played it, it doesn’t mean it’s an easy course. It’s now a finesse course – my nemesis. There’s lots of little narrow tunnel shots and short left-to-right shots that I don’t have (BobaFred is a lefty, so he’s loving it).


By the time we got to the end of the round, the temperature was already high enough it was melting the snow we had.

I found many many trees on this course, but surprisingly, I found myself really liking this course. I think it would be a little more difficult with leaves on the trees, and I heard it’s pretty buggy when the summer sun hits some of the ponds and overflow pools there. There’s a little bit of topography/elevation change that makes things interesting and not every hole is drivable. There are a couple 400+ft holes out there.

I liked this course and will likely suggest we play it again when I end up winning. …which I DID this week. Hahahahaha, suckers.

No comments: