Monday, August 31, 2009

Hardee’s Fried Bologna Biscuit

Back when I was a kid, my second-oldest sister from Michigan, PalmMapper, used to fry up bologna and throw it on some bread for my little brother and I. We used to love it. I’m not sure why, actually. She could make lots of other awesome stuff (like TacoBake, and mixed drinks...wait, what?), but when she needed to shut us up quickly, fried bologna was a speedy mouth-stuffer.

My mother told me about these new sammiches Hardee’s had and I knew I had to at least try the thing. I hadn’t seen any commercials up in the Twin Cities for them, which isn’t surprising since I don’t watch television.

On the way to Peoria Sunday morning, EyeHeartPizza and I picked up a couple for the road. Honestly, it wasn’t that great. It either needed to be more bologna-y or less. As it was, it was more of an aftertaste than anything. Maybe the biscuit and egg were just too flavorful, but I doubt that’s the case. The cheese was the fake processed cheese you’ll get at all fast food places, and everything else has that processed texture to it. Some people like the biscuits at Hardee’s, but I could take them or leave them. I prefer a Croissamich or a McMuffin anyday. The fried bologna biscuit tasted fine, in that it wasn’t gross, but I really thought it would be better. Maybe I had just envisioned it being as amazing as I remembered it as a kid. Or maybe my sister sprinkled crack on them when I was a kid to get us hooked.

Yes, I forwent all safety precautions by taking this photo. I’m driving with no hands with a biscuit on my lap and taking a photo. One fire-y crash coming right up!

It was fine, but I’m glad I got the tater rounds. You can’t go wrong with those things. Too much a non-issue to do a Top 5. Maybe I’m getting lazy in my old age.

No comments: