Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cafe Salsita – San Antonio, TX

Today we designated as our totally lazy day. Low stress, low activity, low amount of sunlight for me. DeliveryBoy said we had to try this super awesome Mexican food place for breakfast. His friend used to work there as a server and got DeliveryBoy and Amanda Hugginkiss to try it for lunch and they raved about the place. Apparently, breakfast is one of Cafe Salsita’s specialties, and I needed to try it.

We got there before the church crowd broke free, so we walked in and grabbed a table. DeliveryBoy’s friend came with since he knew everyone that worked there and told us things to try and how to order certain things. He also got the waitress to bring out this special salsa which was amazing. The breakfast menu is actually quite large. There’s a whole list of breakfast tacos they serve and then a large section of “plates” they also serve breakfast styled things from. There was a lot to choose from.

The waitress brought out some chips and three different salsas. One fresh, one made with fire roasted ingredients which was spicier, and one made with Serrano peppers which was amazing – both flavor and spice.

I ordered the Machacado breakfast plate and also a barbacoa taco. I was told these would be great choices. I love Mexican-food breakfasts – or “Brexican” as I call it. I also turned 8 years old and ordered a chocolate milk. We gorged ourselves on chips and salsa while we waited for our food. The food came out pretty quickly, so it wasn’t a long wait.

The food looked amazing. The Machacado was perfectly cooked and mixed with scrambled eggs, peppers, and onions. It came with fried potatoes and refried beans. The shredded dried beef had incredible flavor. I would get this again. Normally, I get Chilaquiles for Brexican, but I’m glad I got adventurous and got the Machacado – total win for me! Homemade flour tortillas were brought to the table as well to fold everything up in. It wasn’t like any dish I’d had before. It was fantastic. The barbacoa taco was really good. I won’t say the best I’ve had (which I apologize for since it was SUPPOSED to be the best barbacoa ever), but it was truly great. The meat was shredded finely and wasn’t as greasy as some I’ve had in the past, but the flavor didn’t blow me away, not sure why. After I added some of the salsa, it really ramped up the flavor though. The taco was simply the barbacoa meat with cilantro and avocado rolled up with it and some onions thrown in.

All in all, this was a fantastic meal. One of the best Mexican breakfasts I’ve ever had. No complaints at all, especially with the variety of sauces provided and also the wide variety of breakfast options we had. Excellent choice!

And so you know how heavy this meal was, we all came back to DeliveryBoy and Amanda Hugginkiss’ apartment and crashed. I slept for 4 hours – seriously. I was going to take full advantage of this lazy day we suggested!

Top 5 things about La Salsita
1. Machacado platter
2. Special salsa from in back
3. The other two salsas they regularly serve
4. Barbacoa taco
5. Super friendly staff

Bottom 5 things
1. Gerd loved Mexican food and would have raved about this place. She loved homemade tortillas and breakfasty things with salsa
2. I wish we all had combined orders so I got to try 5 different things, but that might have been a little presumptuous on my part…
3. This restaurant is a plane-ride away for me to come and get breakfast…sigh…
4. After the church across the street lets out on Sunday morning, this place is packed
5. With the secret salsa in the back, it makes me wonder what OTHER magical items are “by request only”

www.cafesalsita.com

No comments: