Monday, December 19, 2011

Tom’s Home Cookin’ – Denver, CO (2nd time)

A few years back, my good friend EyeHeartPizza told me about Tom’s Home Cookin’ when I went out to Denver. I have dreamt of this place ever since. So when the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association decided to host the world championships of roller derby in Denver, I knew at least one place I was going back to.

I went out to Denver with a few of the other derby spouses and talked Mr. Novia into driving me around after we played some disc golf the first morning. The last time I was there, there was a line out the door. I didn’t see a line this time when we pulled up, so I was worried they weren’t open. However, when we walked in the door, immediately, large groups of people appeared and the line was out the door. We made it just in time.

The menu boards were as I remembered them. The dry erase boards tell you what is available that day. It changes all the time, so you don’t know what you’re going to get, but I can assure you it’s all delicious. No checks, credit cards, or IOU’s – cash only. I was torn on what to order since I knew everything was good, but I finally decided on country fried steak and gravy with some mac and cheese and broccoli rice (and a side of jalapeno cornbread).

They serve it up right away and you get your drinks at the drink station. If you’re a fan of sweet tea, you’re in luck – Tom’s has the best and a good variety of different flavors of it. I went with the Strawberry Fanta. I’m a big fan.

We found a seat, thankfully – since we were ahead of the rush. The mac and cheese is delicious. Just like I remember from last time – it reminded me of how my Alabama grandma used to make. Home made, with velveeta cheese and not much else. Awesome. The broccoli rice was also fantastic and cheesy – apparently, I was in a cheesy mood. The country friend steak was good. Not stellar and amazing, but it was really good. I can’t say that I’ve had better, but maybe there’s just a plateau of country fried steak and it’s hard to surpass that. Like I said, it was good, but not game changing. I would probably get something else the next time I go (and I WILL go again), but Id’ not steer anyone away from the country fried steak. I just simply want to try more things on the menu.

Tom’s, I’m looking forward to telling more people about your restaurant and getting additional hordes of people to show up at your door – not that you need it. You are one of my favorite restaurants in Denver and I am looking forward to my next trip out there. Fortunately I have a cousin who lives in the area with an awesome husband and amazingly cute kids, so I don’t need THAT much of an excuse to come for a visit!

No top five since I did that last time. I just wanted to remind people to go here!

No comments: